Photobucket

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Once, Twice, THRICE


   
I pulled my big, black 2001 Ford F-150 into the narrow parking spaces in front of ThaiFresh and Thrice Café. After slamming my car doors I look into the completely windowed front of the building and see movie cameras and men dressed in ubiquitous charcoal-colored vests.

They must have known I was coming.

I can’t even write my blog without paparazzi chasing me around downtown, trying to get me to leak the latest week’s blog leads.

That’s what fame will do to you.

It's not easy being this famous.
photo courtesy of 3.bp.blogspot.com
I pull my over-sized sun glasses over my eyes and dart in through the less frequented door on the far left. I drop my things by a corner table and scan the room for crazed fans: I’m safe…for now.

Wasting no time, I lean over the counter to ask the barista in a hushed voice why reporters are here. He looks puzzled. Maybe he doesn’t know who I am.

After looking around the corner questionably, the presumable hipster comments “oh, they’re some film crew that goes around the country filming shows about restaurants who provide quality, really local food to customers.”

I look at him out of the corner of my eyes, “sooooo, they aren’t here for me?

“What?”

“Nothing,” I retort quickly, “I write a blog about local Austin coffee shops.”

“Oh, we have a lot of your type here today!”

Phew. Maybe I’ve finally found a coffee shop in Austin where I can blog and drink in peace.

I always do an initial investigation of potential coffee shops online before I actually pop into them. I want to know what the regulars order and what the best kept secret about “this place” is.

The one thing that really stood out to me on Thrice’s website menu (and what got some positive yelp.com reviews) was the house favorite caramel turtle latte. What’s nice about Thrice, and reminds me of Bennu, is the menu board dedicated to just popularly ordered drinks. Of course the friendly barista will make you anything, but a board of suggestions for first-time customers is really helpful.

Before he mixes up the caramel turtle, the barista lets me know that all the coffee beans come from Colombia and are locally roasted. Everything is fair trade. The attached restaurant/cooking school Thai Fresh is super local. Apparently, the chickens they cook with are raised just down the road from the shop. I am tempted to reference Portlandia, but I refrain.

all I could think about. 
video courtesy of youtube.com

Once he begins brewing my drink I head off back to my table to scope out the almost empty café.  Thrice kind of feels like a modern warehouse redecorated to feel like home. The unfinished ceiling is laced with a sterile white pipe and wrought iron weave; from it, hangs “Jetsons style” giant white lamps giving off bright orbs of light.

Hanging exactly three feet from my head, and right above the open mic section, is a jellyfish art installation; complete with long white tentacle thingys and a pink mushroom-capped head.

From my table I have a perfect view of the pastry case, which is packed with vegan sweet potato whoopie pies (highly recommended online, and the latest wedding dessert trend) and chocolate cake slices. Yum. If it weren’t for the startling image of me being stuffed into my soon-to-be-married sister’s bridesmaids dresses like a sausage, I would be taking full advantage of that pastry menagerie.

Sigh. I’ll see you post May 25th

Before I even realize it, a caramel turtle in a friendly blue mug is placed on front of me. The kind barista says, before he darts off to care for other customers, “let me know if it’s too sweet for you.” One thing is for sure, Thrice has customer service in the bag.

I can smell it almost as much as I can taste it. From the moment I pull the cup to my mouth my senses are filled with a warm, cinnamon aroma.

I know people smell the bouquets of wine and that real coffee connoisseurs smell espresso too;  but what my unrefined palate smells is chocolate. And warm flavors; Flavors that remind me of snowy New York evenings and bright blazing fires. I smell the sweet chocolate and the sharp espresso. I can taste the chocolate before it even hits my lips.

This espresso is less aggressive than other espressos I’ve had. 

My first sip is sweet, but the espresso taste is full and robust. I can taste its full bloom. Its almost as if each taste has a sweet chocolate beginning, followed by a sharp but blooming espresso bite that fizzles over my tongue and is trailed by another warm milky chocolate flavor. Sweet, then pleasantly bitter, then sweet.

Caramel turtle latte

There’s a friendly bit of hazelnut popping by just to say hello. I don’t mind. It can drop-in unexpected anytime.The espresso has a dark taste to be sure, but it doesn't cut all sweetness of the chocolate and it fades with the reappearance of the chocolate.

For anyone that wonders how espresso is supposed to bring out the flavor in chocolate, look no further; take a sip of this concoction and the world will suddenly make sense.

The further I get through my mug the more bite I taste. But it isn’t a bitter bite, its soft and full
I like it more, the less that is left- kind of how I feel about most fashion trends.

Behind me a patron has taken advantage of the open mic set up. He must come here a lot, because he knows the owner by first name. He’s warming up by strumming out soft melodies. They are a little melancholy but something in his chords make me feel that his heart is happy. I’m happy too.

His sweet but deep sound reminds me of my presently-finished caramel turtle latte. Now feels like as good at time as any to slip out the side door. Before I leave I thank the barista again, and once more take in a deep breath of Thrice Café. As I exhale, the door closes and I am halfway to my truck.

I’ll be back.

Coffee drinkers: Ask the barista to surprise you, they know what they are doing here.
Non-coffee drinkers: They have a LARGE selection of teas- take advantage of them.

Store location:

Store hours:
Mon - Fri: 7am -9pm 
Sat - Sun: 8am - 9pm
512.447.9473

No comments:

Post a Comment