Photobucket

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Upper Crust is of the Uppermost Importance

Austin has innumerable gems hidden in plain sight. I think that’s what makes this city so special to its citizens.

You could live out your whole life in Austin happy and fulfilled, and still at the end of your days, have that sinking feeling you missed something.

That knowing defeat is what this weird city thrives on. Every morning and every night Ausitnites have the opportunity to discover some hidden novelty tucked away in the labyrinth and make it theirs; their skylineview of downtown; their dive bar on East Sixth; their perfect coffee shop.

Austin belongs to those voyeurs.

Upper Crust Bakery on Burnet road is one such hidden gem. You’ve probably passed it on your way to Hey Cupcake! or Central Market and thought to yourself “Now that looks like a cute little bakery. I should check it out one of these days.” Then you probably filed it away in your “Austin To-Do” file and forgot about it, until you inevitably passed it again and pushed it to the top of your list, only to have it fall again soon after.

Upper Crust Bakery and Cafe
If Upper Crust ever resurfaces in your consciousness, take the leap of faith and walk in.

Upper Crust is filled with “the usuals.” Looking around, it doesn’t seem as if anybody is unfamiliar with the quaint, but satisfying menu or the store-length pastry case. I can tell by the patrons’ naturalality in conversation that this is a favorite haunt of theirs and one they love to share with family and friends.

I ordered a caramel latte and one of their city-renown cinnamon rolls from the cheerful barkeep. As I waited I looked around the bare walls of the bakery. This cafe relies solely on the vitality of their customers, to bring the lack of décor to life. There are no vintage posters or mellow music filling the air, only bright smiles and sweet laughs shared between old friends.

I receive my order and sit down to enjoy it. I skipped my morning dose of caffeine (a risky move) just so I would have a craving for coffee now.
Bare Walls but Good Conversation

The coffee was just as I remembered it the first time I venture into Upper Crust: sweet and smoky.

At first taste, the latte is simply sweet- unbothered by loads of artificial sugar or overzealous syrups. And then the body of the espresso comes to maturity. The espresso tastes as if it was waiting to make it’s grand entrance, and once it does, it refuses to leave. It has subtle earthy undertones that make the drink alive and once I’ve swallowed, I can still taste the remnants of a caramelly sweet naturalness. It is a flavor I hope stays with me well after my latte is gone.

I can’t speak as highly of the cinnamon roll as I can the coffee. With all the talk of the cinnamon roll at Upper Crust being the end all be all of pastries, I expected more. I can appreciate that it was not overly sweet or coated in the white frosting that will undoubtedly frost one’s arteries.
Upper Crust Cinnamon Roll
I like that the inside is yeasty and doughy and that I can pull apart the roll in strips. What I don’t like is the simplicity in flavor and the fact that it was served cold. Perhaps I could have asked for it warmed up, but I expected that I would be served the famous pastry as it was intended to be consumed.

On a previous visit I had a cheese-filled croissant, and THAT was phenomenal. In fact, since the fateful day that I ordered that particular pastry, I’ve had reoccurring dreams of it about once a week.

I remember my first bite well; I was surprised to find that after sinking my teeth into the buttery and slightly sweet bread, my taste buds were drowning in warm, gooey, flavorful cheese.

Usually when  something says “cheese-filled” what it really means is, “yeah, we shoved cheese somewhere in that massive spongy bread,” but Upper Crust means business.

In my opinion, take the cheese croissant- leave the cinnamon roll.

So Many Pastries, so Little Time
Stop by Upper Crust for their wide pastry selection and sweet, smoky coffee, scratch it off your Austin “To-Do” list and make it your new favorite local haunt.


Coffee Drinkers: Anything on the coffee menu. You won’t be disappointed.

Non-Coffee Drinkers: Anything from the pastry case (except the cinnamon rolls). You won’t be disappointed.

Upper Crust Bakery and Cafe
4508 Burnet Rd
AustinTX 78756
(512) 467-0102

Hours:
Mon-Fri 6:30 am - 6:30 pm
Sat 7 am - 5 pm
Sun 7 am - 1 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment