Photobucket

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Lattes Have no Calories, Right?



I came to Dolce Vita with the best intentions.
Dolce Vita on Duval Street
“I’m just going to order a nonfat, sugar-free latte,” I told myself.

But after walking through the nondescript windowed door, I told myself: “I just need to make sure that whatever I order has nonfat milk in it. It doesn’t have to be sugar-free too.”

My previous declaration, after sampling one of the sixteen gelatos, quickly turned into “FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GIVE ME SOMETHING WITH CHOCOLATE AND WHIPPED CREAM AND WHOLE MILK.”

So I caved. It happens to the best of us.

I asked the barista to give me the essence of Dolce Vita in a cup. After staring me down for a bit she offered me a spoon of coconut gelato. It was as if she peered into the dark depths of my soul.


Frozen heaven...or gelato
She could tell by the rolling of my eyes and the Meg-Ryan-in-“When-Harry-Met-Sally-”esque moan how much I loved it.

The friendly barista told me of a frappe drink she loves to make with the afore mentioned coconut gelato and how she could add dark chocolate to it. And that it was vegan to boot! I handed her my debit card and put my trust and $4.33 in her hands.

I knew I made the right decision when she handed me my tall, frosty glass filled to the brim with what I now know to be chocolate-coconut heaven.
Try not to drool on your computer.
It was like a melted Almond Joy candy bar in the best way. The chocolate retained its satiny richness until the very last drop. Even the sticky, left-behind residue plastered to the side of the glass tasted as delectable as the first sips.

I thanked the barista for her godly creation and marveled at the rest of the menu.

Dolce Vita sells food, cheeses (from next door Antonelli’s Cheese Shop), pastries, gelato and alcoholic drinks in addition to their locally roasted coffees. My waistband wouldn’t let me try more than my dark chocolate coconut frappe and biscotti, but my guess is the rest of the menu is just as divine.

There is one menu item in particular that peaks my interest: a sorberita. The soberita is a drink blend of sorbet or gelato and liquor, or if you prefer, good and even gooder. Needless to say, I put it on my “to drink” list.


yeah, they have a stocked bar.
Dolce Vita is aptly named; their drinks truly are the “sweet life.”


Coffee Drinkers:
Their renown espresso presses to impress.
Non-coffee drinkers:
Any of their frappes. Ask for a coconut one with dark chocolate and you can thank me later.

Dolce Vita Gelato & Espresso Bar
4222 Duval St
Austin, TX 78751
(512) 323-2686

Hours:
Mon-Fri 6:30 am – 12 am
Sat-Sun 8 am – 12 am

No comments:

Post a Comment