Photobucket

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Coffee From a Box


South Lamar isnt really the street you frequent to find solace. South Lamar is quirky and has a little something local for everyone. Its entertaining, sure; purposeful? Most definitely. But peaceful is not in the description: unless we are talking about La Boite café.*
*La Boite is French for "the box."
                     
La Boite Cafe
photo courtesy of foodiswhatilove.com
Positioned atop a lush green hill, La Boite overlooks the busy street of South Lamar. The street is buzzing with the sound of hundreds of cars whirring down the road. Faintly, I hear the steady chirping of birds in the distance;  Although I can’t see them, I know by the sound they too have found peace in the middle of this popular boulevard. 

I am sheltered beneath a canvassed fabric stretched from the top of La Boite to the ends of its cracked stone and gravel patio.

The sitting area is much like the inside of La Boite’s trailer. It is small, unassuming and confident. La Boite isn’t shrouded in local art or fancy lights. The walls are a paintless cement covering everything in the trailer permanently except for the unfinished wood ceiling. The menu is two small pieces of paper bolted between two chalkboards with the daily specials. The pastry case is small but delicious looking. Word on the street is that their macarons are too. die. for.

When I order my iced hazelnut latte with nonfat milk I am told by the friendly barista that La Boite has run out of ice (#foodtrailerproblems). I still order it cold and hope for the best.

Literally seconds later my latte is waiting for me on the counter- I grab it and head outside. Perched on a chair in the shade, I take a good look at the Austin skyline and go in for my first sip.

The hazelnut flavor is just right. It tastes as though my straw has pierced right through the center of a hazelnut and found some cream and sugar along the way.

The first sip is the same as the last. The after taste is the same as the before taste. This is seriously good coffee. 

The coffee peeks through the hazelnut syrup. It is not overshadowed by the hazelnut flavor, but thinly veiled. Make no mistakes the espresso taste is there and strong; lattes from La Boite are not for the faint of heart.

The milkiness of my latte, is very much unlike other lattes; the milk isn’t heavy like I find whole milk to be, but it certainly is rich, especially for being skim milk.
 How do they do it?

Did I mention La Boite makes their own syrups?

I don’t know how flavoring syrup is made, or what goes into one- but I do know a good one when I taste it. La Boite expertly makes delicious syrups

Everything here is taken very seriously. I overhear the owners casually talking with a potential business partner about the design and engineering of a shipping package for La Boite’s macarons. Yes, they are discussing the importance of how their macarons will be sent through the mail. Dedication to detail at its finest. Every minute facet of this tiny trailer has been carefully thought out and executed.
I'd wrap these babies up good too.
photo courtesy of texasmonthly.com

I am so comfortable right now watching Austin life hurry by, while I steal time to enjoy a perfect iced hazelnut latte.

Moments like these, I know that there will never be another city quite like this one. You can keep your overcrowded New York and overly-tan Los Angeles-

 I’ll stick to the gentle city noises and flamboyant quirkiness of Austin.


Coffee Drinkers: Go for the cappuccino. 
Non-Coffee Drinkers: House-made Macarons. Duh.



Store Hours:
Mon-Fri: 7:30 am- 4:30 pm
Sat-Sun: 8 am- 4 pm


Location:
1700 S. Lamar
Austin, Texas
78704
512.377.6198

No comments:

Post a Comment